Friday, October 18, 2013

Week 8

The reflection questions from this week include What are some ways you can teach the vocabulary presented within science and social studies? How can you prepare to teach both of these subject areas?

Vocabulary is a key part of understanding concepts that are taught in science and social studies, some strategies that I would use to teach the vocabulary would be to use graphic organizers. Have a word wall or some sort of visual that the students can see the word continuously for the duration of the unit, activities where they have to manipulate the word and its definition (i.e. match the word to its definition or group the words in distinct categories). Using visuals online help as well to give the student a good visual and framework which helps the student relate it to something that they have seen before. For science vocabulary, I would try to give the students as much as real or hands-on experiences as I can. Through experiments, materials, and pictures.

When preparing to teach these subject areas, I would refer to many of the online resources available to educators as well as making sure that I thoroughly understand the concepts myself. If I need assistance or clarification to make sure that I am teaching the concept the same way that the general education teacher is, I would make time to talk to the general ed teacher and ensure we are on the same page.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. However, if it is possible, can you explain more regarding how would you teach vocabulary? What if the student do not understand the vocabulary? What would you do?

    Meeting with the general education teacher sounds like a great plan. How would you make sure that the students would understand the materials in the way he or she would understand? How would you teach the material differently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same thoughts on teaching science and social studies! I liked your manipulation idea. Visuals are repetitive practice are so important for our students who are DHH. Understanding the concepts ourselves before we try to teach our students is critical. Whenever we think that a student won't ask about something we don't quite understand ourselves...they will! I agree that it is better to ask for clarification than to teach a student inaccurately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a good list of options to consider when you are preparing for this subject matter. Remember, when using strategies you can combine and modify to address a concept, skill or event. Students may become more engaged when incorporating a variety of strategies. Always be prepared for the "what-ifs" because you never know how a lesson will go until you get involved in teaching it. I've had several lessons that I had planned to do this way and had to postpone to the next day to make the adjustments that I didn't envision.

    ReplyDelete