Friday, October 4, 2013

Week 6

The reflection questions from this week include: What strategies/topics stuck in your mind from tonight's class? What information do you feel will help you in planning your instruction?

From this week's class, the topic of writing really stuck in my head. The concept of building skills to get the students to write their own responses to short answer questions. First you start with building their skills in writing letters, then have them copy sentences and words. The easiest way to get a student thinking about a response to a short answer question is to have them tell you about their answer and then have them copy down your writing, then build to having them write their own responses.
Another strategy is the Rainbow Edit, which I have actually seen in my practicum setting this semester. It is a creative idea to get the students really thinking about the writing process and the different elements of their writing.

In planning my instruction, I feel that having data about the student's learning styles and how they perceive information given to them. Differentiated instruction is the key to maintaining success in our student's education. I would also want to know how to vary instruction or use of strategy among different communication modalities.

3 comments:

  1. Something I learned today was developing the automaticity of reading and writing. We always hear this term used with speech, but I had never thought to use it when talking about writing. You are absolutely right in knowing your student's learning style and making sure to use this! In writing, some students may need only visual and auditory input, while others may need visual, auditory, and kinesthetic (hands-on). I saw another writing strategy today using play-doh that the students seemed to really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in learning more about the Rainbow Edit. I believe creativity can help students think about the writing process.

    Amanda, I am interested in seeing how play-doh play a role in a writing strategy. Could you bring play-doh to class tomorrow and do a mock lesson with us or at least explain more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Craig's suggestion on Amanda bringing play-doh. Maybe we could explore how to use play-doh with teaching math!!! It could be fun!

    Sonia--I like your comment on differentiated instruction. This has become a very popular topic among regular education teachers. What do you know about this concept/approach?

    ReplyDelete