Thursday, September 12, 2013

Week 3

 OK so I failed my challenge of being the first to post! I will say that I attempted last night and my internet decided not to work. So with that said I am writing this post earlier than my previous ones...some improvement! :)

The reflection questions from this week include: Educational placement for students with hearing loss has been a long debate. What are your thoughts about educating students within the "mainstream" versus in a centralized program/school? I am a big supporter for educating students in mainstream; however, the parents/families decision plays a huge factor in deciding this. The family should be informed about the options available to them and why certain programs would benefit their child. Its important to keep in mind communication modality, intervention services, socialization, interpreters, deaf education services available, etc.

How do you plan to take data? Will you take data every day vs once in a while? When is it important to take data? I would create some templates that make it easy to jot down some data in an efficient and quick manner. Depending on the type of data such as hearing aid info or behavior, I would take data daily. For other types of information such as student performance in a subject area such as reading I would spread out the data, depending on the schedule and time.

2 comments:

  1. Keep trying :)

    I, too, am a big supporter of mainstreaming, but I am wondering what your thoughts are on centralized programs/schools for the deaf.

    Do you consider formal assessments a part of data collections? I consider formal assessments as a part of data collection, even though these assessments only occur annually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our school visits last week really broadened our "knowledge" of the range of opportunities that are available to students who are d/Dhh. I think that knowing about schools because you have visited and you collaborate with them or their educators is important to families when they are considering their options.

    I like your idea of templates to use for informal data collection. We both are the Type A table people!

    ReplyDelete