Friday, August 30, 2013

Week 1

The reflection questions for this week include: What have you learned about instructional strategies? What would you like to learn during this class (CSD 764-Instructional Strategies: D/HH)? To me instructional strategies are the strategies and/or plans on how to convey/teach a skill, concept and/or message to your students. This can be done in numerous ways such as interactive instruction, direct or indirect instruction, etc. There is no one right way to use instruction, you can use a variety of types of instruction in a different situations, environments, concepts, etc.

Throughout this class, I have a strong desire to learn about the different methods to teach different topics such as social studies, math, reading, etc. Behavior management was one of the skills I know that I need to improve on and develop even more in this last year of the graduate program. I am also curious of learning different instructional strategies and methods when working with children with multiple disabilities. I am extremely excited to learn and utilize these strategies in our practicum sites as well as in the "real world."

The fact that research has shown students with a hearing loss often times do not achieve higher than a 3rd grade reading level is something that has been brought up on numerous occasions. This is very unfortunate and I believe that with strong educators and a strong belief and motivation to change this statistic, we can utilize the data at our disposal to help. My plan to face this is would be to challenge and utilize the technology, resources, and assessments available to support my student's needs in the area of literacy development.

2 comments:

  1. Sonia,
    I am also interested in learning instructional strategies and methods to use when working with children with multiple disabilities. I'm excited to see how much we will grow during our practicum by learning to apply these strategies and methods!
    Regarding the discussion on student achievement in reading, how do you think we can maintain the enthusiasm and motivation we currently have to change this statistic? Sometimes it is easy for us to get caught up in our work and forget why we chose this field and the difference we want to make in others' lives. One way I think we can keep our motivation is to stay up to date on the current research and data that will help us to promote literacy instruction. I personally like to keep a small reminder as to what drew me to this field and what I would like to achieve. A simple picture, quote, or even note from another teacher or student does this for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instructional strategies and methods are essential in teaching. I never thought of students with multiple disabilities until you two brought it to my attention. I worked with a student with multiple disabilities and it was interesting to observe this student. Behavior management is an area that we all could improve on, especially at the beginning of our careers. With more exposure to the behavior management and time, we would improve in this area over time. I agree with you that we need "to stay up to date on the current research and data that will help us to promote literacy instruction" because the data changes over time. The data collected back in the 80s is not the same as the data collected today. I believe that we all have the same thoughts on reading higher than a 3rd grade level. Which assessments do you plan to use to assess in this area?

    ReplyDelete